Friday, October 18, 2013

What's your favorite Temple?

What is your favorite Temple?  How many Temples have you been to?  I've been fortunate enough to go to 51 of the 68 operating Temples in the United States.  My goal is to go to all of the U.S. temples but President Monson keeps announcing new ones, so I've still got a long way to go.  There are currently 81 U.S. Temples that are either currently operating, under construction, or announced to be built in the United States.

I live in San Diego, so of course I'd have to say the San Diego Temple is the best!  But when President Hinckley dedicated it in 1993, he warned us that Temple ordinances are the same in all Temples and we shouldn't be too prideful and think one Temple is better than any other.


 
  Check out my blog and I'll tell you of my Temple Travels, and document the 51 Temples I've been to....so far.  I've got a few more to go and a few more trips to plan.  Tell me about your favorite Temples, and about your travels.  I hope you enjoy my site!
 
                                              

Idaho, Montana, and Washington

Ready for a cross-country mad dash to hit as many Temples as possible in a short time?
Last summer I traveled, to Idaho, Montana, and Washington.  I flew into Boise, Idaho, knowing that the Boise Temple was being renovated and that I would have to return another time.  No worries, there a lots of other Temples in Idaho.   

  Boise Temple during renovation


So, I rented a car and headed East.  First stop, Twin Falls.
Twin Falls Idaho Temple
I was on a tight schedule so I had to keep moving.  My goal is to do some type of Temple work in each Temple.  Sometimes I do an Endowment session, sometimes I do Sealings, and if I'm real short on time, I'll do some initiatory work.  In Seattle and St. George I was able to do Baptisms and Confirmations.  I think my favorite thing to do is Sealings.  When you do Sealings, you are always near the Celestial Room, and in the appropriate clothing to go in, sit down, and enjoy the Spirit of the Temple.  In Twin Falls, I did Initiatory work because I had to hurry on to my next stop.
Idaho Falls Temple
I had seen the Idaho Falls Temple many years ago but didn't have time to do any work there.  I was still on a tight schedule, so I did initiatory work again, and hit the road to Rexburg, Idaho.
Rexburg Idaho Temple
Wow!  This one's a beauty.  Located on a hill overlooking the city of Rexburg, and just up the hill from the Brigham Young University Idaho campus, it is amazing.  This was my 3rd Temple of the day and I wanted to enjoy this a little more, so I did an Endowment session, and spent some time enjoying the Celestial Room.
After going to 3 Temples in 1 day, I took a little break and enjoyed some of the local attractions.  I drove through Yellowstone National Park and was amazed at the beauty of the area and the animals that freely roam the park.


        
I drove all the way across the park from the west entrance and out through the northeast entrance.  I don't think thats the way most people see the park, and that northeast area has a mountain summit that is around 10,000 feet above sea level.  It is a crazy drive.  There was still 5 feet of snow on the ground in June!

Next stop, Billings Montana.  I had been driving all day.  I left Rexburg early in the morning, drove across Yellowstone and arrived in Billings at about 2:00 in the afternoon.  I was thinking of trying to make it to Bismark, North Dakota but I just didn't have the time.  Yellowstone took much longer to get through than I figured. Oh well, another trip, another day.  So, I attended the Billings Montana Temple that afternoon.

Billings Montana Temple

So, since I didn't have time to go to Bismark, I turned back west and headed for Spokane.  That's only an 8 hour drive across Montana, Northern Idaho, and into Washington.  No problem!  I spent the night in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho which is a really beautiful area.  I drove around the area thinking this would be a great place to retire.  It was great in June, I wonder how it is in January?  The next morning, I drove on into Spokane and attended a session there.  Most of the smaller Temples have the same floor plan and design.  Spokane is nearly identical to many of the others I've attended.  It was a cool, rainy morning in Spokane, but the Temple President was standing at the front door, greeting the patrons, and was particularly friendly and helpful to me when he found out I was just passing through.  A real gentleman. 


Spokane Washington Temple


Where to next?  I head south to the Columbia River Temple which is in a tri-city area of Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland, Washington.  Again, I'm short on time because I'm trying to make it to see my sister in northern Oregon before dark, so I stay just long enough to do some initiatory work.
 
I am aware that part of the reason I'm doing all these Temple visits is simply to be able to say, "I've been there."  That seems like such a prideful thing to boast.  President Ezra Taft Benson was very clear about the "sin of pride" so I try to remind myself that Temple work is not for me to boast about, but for the Redemption of the dead.  Even though its still cool to say..."I've been there!"

Here's me at the Columbia River Temple
Yea, I've been there.

The rest of my trip was spent visiting my sister in northeast Oregon, and then the long drive back to Boise to return the car, and fly back home to San Diego.  Thats 6 more Temples, and about 1600 miles in 4 days.  Next trip, I've got some Utah temples I haven't been to yet, and I've got to get back to Boise.


Los Angeles

Most of the Temples I've been to have been on Temple trips where I try to go to as many as I can in a short time.  However, I've also been to several of the Temples as time and travel have permitted over the years.  I grew up in San Diego before the San Diego Temple was built.  The nearest Temple for me was in Los Angeles.  It was the first Temple I went to and I was probably 12 or 13.  I remember my recommend interview with the Bishop, because I was worried about what he was going to ask me, but all he said was the Temple was beautiful and I should share the experience with my non-member father.  I remember the trip was on a Saturday and I was going to miss my Pop Warner football game but I was ok with that because I understood that going to the Temple was more important than football.  Standing in the Baptism font, I remember I was baptized for a man whose last name was Robinson.  The name stuck, I wonder if I'll ever meet him. 
My father never joined the Church, so sometime following his death, my family went to the Los Angeles Temple and performed his Temple work.  My brother Dan and I were his proxy, and Dan, my sisters, and I were sealed to Dad and Mom. 






Washington D.C.

The Temple in Washington D.C. was dedicated in November of 1974.  At that time, it was the only Temple on the east side of the United States.  Since my wife is from Florida, Washington D.C. was the closest Temple to her home and family.  So this is where we were married.  Prior to our marriage, I was a student at BYU and we were to be married about a week after my last college final exam.  Gini, my fiance was living in Florida.  After my last exam, I drove from Provo, to San Diego to drop off my brother Dan, and then drove across the country to pick up Gini and her parents at the airport in D.C.  We went immediately from the airport to the Temple for Gini's endowment session.  The next morning we were married.  Following our marriage, we drove her parents back to the airport, and we honeymooned driving from D.C. back to Florida

 Jim and Gini
Washington D.C.
April 24, 1975


Laie Hawaii

Mother had a friend that was serving a mission in Laie, Hawaii at the BYU-Hawaii and the Polyneasian Cultural Center.  Sounds like a road trip, right?  So, after checking airfares to Hawaii, we discovered that senior citizens got discounts and were allowed companion fares at the same rate.  So, we took the 2 moms, Gini's mom Liz, and my mom, Eddie, and headed for a week in Oahu.  What a great vacation.  We did all the tourist attractions and spent a wonderful day at the PCC.  We were also able to do a session at the Laie Temple.  In the Temple, I was patiently waiting in the Terrestial Room, waiting to move into the Celestial room, when the session following us came in.  I was pushed to the back of the line, and didn't get through for nearly an hour.  I wanted to complain, but the large Polynesian men didn't seem to care.  I decided not to make it an issue.

    Mom and me, in Hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment